Food Bank Volunteer Coordinator AmeriCorps Member, Position Description
Nourish Pierce County is currently looking for a Food Bank Volunteer Coordinator in partnership with AmeriCorps. This position will assist in the recruitment, training, and retention of volunteers at the Southeast Tacoma Food Bank, assuring that all volunteers are able to carry out Nourish Pierce County’s mission of providing nutritious food and support services to people in need with compassion, dignity and respect.
Volunteers are essential in the day to day function of Nourish Pierce County. Without volunteers Nourish Pierce County would not able to serve 70,000 clients, distribute 6.5 million pounds of food, or provide enough food for 4.7 million meals annually. The Volunteer Coordinator position will be responsible for coordinating all elements of volunteer management at the Southeast Tacoma Food Bank including the recruitment, placement, training, and retention of volunteers.
Food Bank Volunteer Coordinator Responsibilities
- The Volunteer Coordinator will recruit, train, and manage volunteers at the Southeast Tacoma Nourish Food Bank.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will track volunteer hours, process volunteer applications, schedule and implement continuous volunteer orientations. Orientations may be held at the Southeast Tacoma Nourish Food Bank, or at another Food Bank within the Nourish Pierce County Food Bank Network.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will collaborate with the Food Bank Manager to welcome, orientate, place, and train new volunteers.
- This position will serve alongside current volunteers to ensure the Food Bank is stocked and prepared for service, as well as ensuring that the Food Bank shelves are replenished as needed throughout the period of service.
- This position will also collaborate with the Volunteer Program Coordinator to institute a new volunteer database to be used by new and existing volunteers.
Food Bank Volunteer Coordinator Desired Qualities
- Dedicated to community service
- Excellent customer service
- Relationship oriented
- Open minded
- Full of initiative
- Excited to work with a diverse volunteer and client base
- Adaptable to change
Food Bank Volunteer Coordinator Requirements
- Some College
- Ability to lift 40 lbs.
- Demonstrated computer and written literacy
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Volunteer experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass AmeriCorps Background Check
Addition AmeriCorps Member Duties and Responsibilities
WSC members may be deployed to help support disaster response and/or recovery efforts. Sponsor organizations must agree to release Members for short term duration to assist with these efforts. Deployment may be waived if it presents undue hardship for an individual member. All deployments would be requested by the WSC unless your host organization is a disaster response organization where any requests for deployment would require initial approval by the WSC.
Salary and Benefits
This is a 40 hour per week position for the 6-month. Stipend and benefits are provided by Washington Reading Corps (AmeriCorps) and is contingent on federal funding.
- Living stipend of $1,202.86 per month provided by WSC.
- Subsidized childcare available, provided by GAP Solutions Inc. (if qualified)
- Health Insurance
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans)
- $2907.50 Education Award provided by National Service Trust (upon successful completion of 6 month term of service and 900 hours of service)
Please send Resume and Cover Letter to Nourish Pierce County, firstname.lastname@example.org or 1702 S 72nd ST, Ste E, Tacoma, WA 98408, applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.